Friday, October 31, 2008

Thing I Like #5: Creative Halloween Costumes

The best part of this holiday (for me) isn't the free candy (though coming a couple of steps closer to diabetes is always good), but getting a chance to see just how clever and creative people can be.

On an aside, I actually dressed up this year, though it was neither clever nor creative, unfortunately. Hamid Osman (the president of YFS) had fun with it, running around Vari Hall poking people. He ended up having to explain the joke to a lot of people, which made no sense to me. Poke + Facebook costume = rocket science! But the best reaction by far: I was in-costume, sitting on the floor in Vari when a guy on the second floor yells, "Oh my God! Facebook girl! That's so cool!" Thanks, yelling guy.

A few video game themed ones:
Samus - It's a little tight (I get sympathy pains just looking at it), but holy crap, is that an awesome job. Kudos to being able to make thousands of fanboys wet their pants simultaneously.
Big Daddy and Little Sister - Mindblowing! I'd actually be a little terrified if I saw a Big Daddy walking down the street. Though I have to admit, I like this splicer way more, for no reason in particular. I know there wasn't as much work put into it, but I always found the splicers way more terrifying.
Team Fortress - This one's hard, 'cause these are (on a whole) really, really well done. What makes these better is the distinct personality of each class in-game, which leads to all sorts of wacky scenarios. Just do a quick Google/Flickr search and you'll see what I mean.

A few awesome costumes I saw at York today:
-A girl dressed up in medieval-ish clothing galloping... followed by a dude making horse gallop sound effects, with coconuts or something. Brilliant!
-I only caught a glimpse of this guy, but half his face was all scabbed/burned? Maybe he was Two-Face. Or just a generally terrifying guy with a damaged face. Either way, it was impeccably done (from what I could tell).
-A guy in a lab coat, holding a briefcase, with safety goggles on his head. I saw him briskly walk by a few times with a serious look on his face, like he had something important to do. I doubt that was part of his costume, but it added to it anyway.
-The appropriately named "Hula Girl."
-A dude in a white paint suit thing splattered with blood. He had a hockey mask on and was carrying a huge (fake) machete. He also had a something-(or someone)-important-to-do walk, which was horrifying. At one point, someone accidentally bumped into him. He stared them down as he walked by and I'm pretty sure they had to change their pants afterwards.
-Wario! This guy stayed in character the whole time, doing the wahaha Wario laugh, plus that weird taunt thing. I'm just glad he didn't perform his special down move.

A Few Others:
-YouTube Guy totally nailed it with the comments section.
-What's better than a Lego minifig (answer: not much)? A Shaun of the Dead Lego minifig costume!
-Go go Gadget awesome!

Good times all around. I wonder how many Sarah Palins are going to be out this Halloween...

3 comments:

Curly Dragon Master 13 said...

Props to diabetes.

Mimi said...

Yeah, seriously. Next year I'm handing out insulin shots too.

Anonymous said...

2 out of all those costumes were actually decent. where did you even get the ideas? try to think of ones that are at least good.