Sunday, April 26, 2009

Thing I Like #14: annathered (or awesome bentos)

I was originally going to title this post "Sweet Video Game-Inspired Bento Boxes." A bento box is a Japanese lunch box, sorta. Often, the lunch-maker will go to great (awesome) lengths to make the lunch look as aesthetically amazing as possible.

I needed some photos so, naturally, I turned to the intertubes. To my surprise, it turns out that most of the frakkin' awesome ones are made by the same magical person! Thus, Thing I Like #14: the culinary genius that is annathered.

You can (read: ABSOLUTELY SHOULD) visit her flickr site here or her blog. Hope you're not wearing socks, 'cause they'll be blown off so hard, you're gonna need crutches.

Some of my absolute favourites:


Portal bento! Please refrain from making any jokes related to the truthfulness of baked goods.



Half-Life bento! It's funny 'cause the crowbar's made of crab, but the headcrabs aren't.



No worries, indie gamers-- there's a bento for you too! I hope this bento isn't as ego-crushingly difficult to eat as it is to play. (It's still a fun game though)

The best one though, in my opinion, is clear. Behold!

Great! Even better than Mama!

I have no words.

I'm really not doing annathered justice though. Visit her flickr stream and see for yourself. Some other favourites:
-Her Katamari, if only because it's a meta-meal: the katamari is made of food... that's made of other food!
-Bioshock bento: who knew cheese could look so terrifying?
-I haff tvelve feesh cake: This would've been first, if not for Mama. Sorry Professor, I've let you down.

She also makes not-gamey related (but still equally phenomenal) foodstuffs, like meat buns (mmmm) shaped like those creepy things from Princess Mononoke and, for you non-gamers, Wall-E sandwiches! He's looking a little sad but-- let's face it-- if you were that delicious looking and were sitting on a giant plate, you'd be sad too.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to find some socks.

5 comments:

Souki said...

thanks a lot mariam. my socks are who-knows-where now!

Mimi said...

sorry Robin. at least the weather's warm enough to go sockless.

Kateryna: pretty much every meal you eat now will look terrible by comparison, haha. sorry : (

Souki said...

It's alright Mariam...I *dramatic pause* forgive you.

Hey! Guess what, the word verification on my thing here tells me to write "press"!!!!!!!!

Jenifer * said...

i like the crab one & the rabbit one the best lol

Mimi said...

who knew purple rabbits could look so delicious?