Monday, September 29, 2008

Thing I Like #1: Koosh Balls

Heeeyyy readers.

Of all the miscellaneous crap I played with as a child, what stands out most in my mind-- by far-- is my koosh ball. Also known as "those things Rosie O'Donnell used to throw into the crowd back when people actually paid attention to her," these rubbery creatures were awesome. And versatile! But let me get serious for a moment. I owe my life to koosh balls. Without this lovable invention, I have no doubt that I would be the totally awesome (and modest) human being that I am today.

As a child, many a recess period were spent out in the field, playing Catch. For me-- a petite girl just trying to play with the big boys-- it offered a way into their patriatchal world. Catch was a big deal back in the day; not just any kid could stroll off the playscape and join a team. You had to prove yourself. For me, the koosh was the way in. Previously frightened off by threats of 'getting whipped,' the koosh's non-threatening jiggle was encouraging-- tender, even. It seemed to whisper to me, "it's okay, you can play too!" And play I did. As I tentatively walked up to the biggest boy, mustered up my courage and asked to play, his non-chalant shrug of approval made my heart swell. Surely, the koosh ball was the great uniter.

I have many more fond memories of my fair, flaccid friend, but I fear this stroll down memory lane is proving to be too much for my fragile heart to take. And to think that-- in their glory days-- store shelves were overflowing with these bibbly beings...! Alas, they can be rarely found in the toy stores of today, replaced by the poor imitations that flatter themselves in their vain attempts to mimic the glory of the Koosh. Do not be fooled! The original lives on-- in our hearts, spirits and memories.

Cheers to you, Koosh! May your gentle jiggle live on forever.

4 comments:

Souki said...

It seemed to whisper to me, "it's okay, you can play too!" And play I did.

haha love that part

Mimi said...

why thank you!

Curly Dragon Master 13 said...

Every time that I touch a koosh ball I feel sick to my fingers. They creep me out to no end. I don't recall it ever being a problem when I was a child. sfvfo

Mimi said...

A koosh creeps you out? Why, did you have some sort of traumatic experience involving tentacles? ...Actually, don't answer that.

I'll bring it in next class, we'll try to get you to overcome that fear. It's for your own good, Rob.